Sheringham boasts a superb Blue Flag beach, coastal walks and access to the stunning North Norfolk countryside
A traditional seaside town, which grew up around its old fishing village, and a few little boats still bring in the daily catch. Sheringham is home of the North Norfolk Railway (The Poppy Line), which operates steam train rides to Holt.
Sea, cliffs, fine sands and bracing air are some of the reasons why Sheringham is so popular. Among the glories of the area are the surrounding woods of Upper Sheringham (including Sheringham Park), with views over the sea, and miles of bracken-covered undulating uplands, covered with golden gorse and purple heather.
The town of Sheringham is anything but the monotonous strip, with the promenade running in and out of the low cliffs, while steps and slopes connect it with the town above. Sheringham has plenty of facilities, including many interesting shops, pubs, restaurants and tea rooms. There is a popular twice weekly market on Wednesday's and Saturday's, that attract many to the town.
Here are a few ideas of places to visit in the local area.
Norwich is about 45 minutes drive or about an hour on the train. From the cobbled Norwich Lanes to the Royal Arcade’s Art Nouveau elegance, you’ll be wowed by the eclectic mix of independent shops. And with two large city-centre malls, an impressive array of department stores, and the boutiques of Norfolk’s market towns, there’s something for everyone.
The market town of Holt, just 10 minutes drive away, has become renowned for its extensive choice of different and exclusive small shops, especially clothing shops, country ware and antiques.
Theatres & Cinemas
The Theatre Royal at Norwich holds national productions www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk
and Norwich has a number of cinemas, including the country's oldest independent art house cinema.
Great for the kids
Sheringham Splash Pool (01263 825675)
Sheringham has a number of great restaurants and friendly pubs. Our personal favourites are:
- No. 10 Restaurant (01263 824400). With just 32-covers, No 10 Restaurant in Sheringham is small but perfectly formed. The food is excellent and reasonably priced. The ambience is relaxed and a bit special. We advise you to book in advance.
- Chai-Yo (chai-yo.co.uk - 01263 821365) Quality traditional Thai food
- The Lobster pub 01263 822716
- The Funky Mackerel Café (01263 826285) www.funkymackerel.com
If you are happy to travel a little further afield, either car bus or a good walk, then we recommend:
- Shelley’s Pie & Mash, Cromer (01263 515304) www.shelleyspieandmashshop.com
- Wiverton Hall (01263 740515) www.wivetonhall.co.uk/restaurant-cafe
- Rocky Bottoms, West Runton (01263 837359) hwww.rockybottoms.co.uk
A 15/20 minute drive:
- The Foundry Arms, Northrepps - good, honest pub foood! (01263 579256) www.northnorfolkpub.co.uk